>

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Fetal Update

Just to let everyone know why we have a poll going on the due date of the baby...I started fetal evaluations on Tuesday. The doctor said it is to make sure the baby is getting enough oxygen. So they hook me up to a fetal heartbeat monitor and a contraction monitor for 30 minutes. When I got there, the nurse said that I would probably feel about 2 movements in 20 minutes, so she gave me a button to push every time I felt the baby move. They were looking for her heart rate to increase by 10 beats per minute when she was active. By the end of the test, she had moved 25 times...which was a VERY active baby! The nurse said she definitely passed her test.

After taking a look at the contraction monitor, she looked concerned and asked me if I had any pain in my stomach or lower back. I said no, and she said I had 6 contractions in the 30 minutes I was being monitored. She said they were every 5 minutes and were lasting 30-40 seconds. She sent me straight to my doctor, who checked everything, and found nothing.

The doctor is thinking that because I am so small and she is moving like a crazy baby, she just might be irritating the uterus enough to contract when she is very active. However, the fact that I am contracting makes the chances increase that I will deliver early. I go back on Monday and they will do the same test again. Hopefully I'm not contracting anymore!!

No comments:

Post a Comment