>

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Big Day Finally Arrives


WOW! We got to the hospital Thursday night at 4:00 to get things rolling with the delivery. At 6:30 pm the doctor gave me a medication that is supposed to last 12 hours, and is only supposed to soften the uterus to get ready for the induction, which was going to take place at 6:30 am Friday morning. On Thursday night, the nurse gave me a sleeping pill so I could get a good nights sleep before the big shabang in the morning. No biggie, right?

Wrong! At 2:30 in the morning, I wake up in an extreme amount of pain. It must have been bad to wake me after taking a sleeping pill! I called the nurse in, and after being checked, found that I was already 5 cm dialated! They took me straight to labor and delivery and (thankfully) gave me a glorious epidural. They told us to get some sleep, and they would still start the meds for the induction at 6:30.

At 6:30, we started the meds, and I started dialating so fast that I was already 9 cm by 7:30. Dr. Stewart was called, but almost didn't get there in time! The nurses told me NOT to push until he got there. At 8:00 the doctor arrived and could already see the head. I pushed for about 20 minutes, and he pulled her out with forcepts. At the time he said the forcepts were just to "speed things along". We found out later that she had the cord wrapped around her neck and her heart rate was dropping, so he needed to get her out fast. I'm glad he didn't tell me that until she was safe in our arms!!

1 comment: